The National Center for Teacher Residences, a non-profit organization cultivating high quality graduate and undergraduate teaching residencies across the country, is searching for a Director of Research and Evaluation.
National Center for Teacher Residencies
Director of Research & Evaluation
Founded in 2007, the National Center for Teacher Residencies (NCTR) is a national non-profit organization headquartered in Chicago with team members working virtually throughout the country. NCTR’s mission is to grow and manage a national network of teacher residencies dedicated to accelerating student achievement through the training, support, and retention of excellent teachers. In the wake of significant 2015 grants and rapidly growing interest from state education agencies and other funders of education innovation, NCTR is accelerating its own growth as it helps to build, support, and scale even greater numbers of high-performing teacher residencies.
NCTR is seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Director of Research & Evaluation (“Director”) to lead its growing Research & Evaluation business line. This critical work serves two overarching purposes:
- Enable the systematic use of evidence to improve NCTR’s impact and that of its partner residencies; and
- Strengthen the integration of research, policy, and program to advance the teacher residency movement.
Together, these goals make the expansion of NCTR’s learning, research, and evaluation agenda a major organizational priority.
• Develop, direct, and lead NCTR’s research agenda, data collection, management and analytics efforts
• Identify best and most promising practices in the residency model to strengthen NCTR’s programming and that of our partner residencies
• Forecast changes to the scope and strategy of NCTR’s R&E agenda, based on new evidence from the field
• Direct and assure quality performance of NCTR’s evaluation contractors
• Support the continuous improvement of NCTR’s other business lines; provide feedback on study design, data collection/analysis methods, and communication of results
• Present and communicate research, findings, and recommendations to education practitioners, policymakers, advocates, media, and other stakeholders
• Cultivate a network of researchers who are leading experts on teacher preparation, effectiveness, and quality
• Produce publications, presentations, research resources, and briefing/white papers
COMMITMENT TO THE NCTR MISSION
− A deep belief that teacher quality is critically important and that we can do better to prepare teachers
LEADERSHIP & DECISION-MAKING
− At least eight years of related and progressively more responsible postgraduate experience in research, evaluation, and leadership
− Demonstrated ability to take initiative to find and develop solutions
SELF-AWARENESS, ATTITUDE, & CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
− A commitment to finding better ways of doing things
− The ability to recognize when there must be a better way
− The awareness to say “I don’t know”
GET STUFF DONE
− Demonstrated ability to manage work and to produce both independently and as part of a team
USE DATA & ALLOCATE RESOURCES SMARTLY
− Constantly considering the return on investment of processes, projects, and behaviors
− Critical thinking and judgment to make decisions or recommendations based on relative return on investment
− Experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a strong focus on metrics and data-driven decision making
− Deep curiosity and an ability to leverage data and discover potential opportunities for growth and innovation
− Excellent written and oral communication skills
− The empathy necessary to communicate data-intensive information with “non-data” practitioners and to work with external partners over whom you have no authority
− Strong interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
− Ability to work effectively on a team and with diverse external partners
JOB-SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, EXPERTISE, AND PRACTICE
− Master’s degree (Ph.D. preferred) in education, statistics, psychology, public policy, or related field
− Fervent interest in research and data initiatives that yield innovative solutions to improve teacher preparation
− High level analytical, research, evaluation, and communication skills
− Knowledge and experience in assessment, survey research methods, and research design
− Advanced Excel skills; fluency in data collection, transformation, and modeling; significant experience using statistical software (e.g. Stata, SPSS, SAS) and/or business intelligence solutions like Tableau
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a benefits package is included.
It is preferred that this position be based in Chicago, Washington D.C., or the Bay Area, where NCTR’s team is concentrated.