City Year is trying to transform how data is used to support students at risk of dropping out of school, and we need your help! Please read on to learn a little bit more about City Year and what we’re looking for. Learn more and apply at cityyear.org.
This position is responsible for managing a team for the assessment of business requirements, collection and identification of technical specifications, and the subsequent design, development, and configuration of technology solutions to enable efficient role-based access to a robust self-service analytics environment at City Year. The Data Management and Enterprise Analytics (DMEA) Director will also be responsible for:
• Developing technology specifications and ensuring that solutions are designed for optimal access and usefulness, leveraging City Year enterprise technology toolset (Microsoft Azure Data platform, Power BI) wherever possible.
• Applying architectural and engineering concepts to design a solution that meets operational requirements, such as scalability, maintainability, security, reliability, extensibility, flexibility, availability, and manageability.
• Identifying the technologies to employ based on price, performance, service agreements, and organization constraints to enable City Year to advance on its goal to become a data-driven organization.
I. Lead a High Functioning Technical Team
- Everyone deserves a GREAT manager - Be one! Develop your staff. Grow and nurture the data architects, data engineers, and developers on your team. Help define career paths and pave the way for success through constant and ongoing mentoring and coaching. Ensure proper staffing for the team and create an exciting atmosphere to better attract, recruit and retain IT talent.
- Foster a collaborative, high-performing environment by setting high standards for technical quality, peer review, and documentation.
- Guide the team in implementing Agile to improve our ability to respond to change and deliver value. Support practices to prioritize and catalog Data Management and Enterprise Analytics project and operational workload.
II. Cultivate our Data Management Systems and Analytics
- Partner with various departments across the organization to understand their data needs and deliver the data in a manner that the department can access it easily, understand it thoroughly, and leverage it to make decisions to improve their functions and processes.
- Align data dependencies across systems of record for data governance.
- Ensure that all needed data is available to internal and external systems.
- Expose enterprise data resources to facilitate robust role - based analytics and visualizations.
- Ensure technical documentation of systems architecture, processes, integrations and ETL processes and other DMEA elements is up to date and accurate
- Evolve and mature our data technology solutions to best serve the organization
- Ensure that our data processes and systems run smoothly and on schedule. Continuously look for opportunities for automation and improvement to simplify support work.
III. Act as Advisor for all Things Data
- Act as a thought-leader for data management strategies that are aligned with organizational needs.
- Serve as an expert in K-12 district, school, and student data to participate in the leadership of our major Student Data and Reporting project.
- Partner with other Information Technology Services teams to develop comprehensive solutions, ensuring data stewardship is considered.
- Set best practices and process for data management architecture, requirements, design and implementation
- Serve as technical Subject Matter Expert to analyze and resolve technical issues with available tools in a timely and accurate fashion to continually meet changing metrics requirements and business needs.
- Understand our community’s self-service needs and create suitable solutions for the various groups while ensuring policy compliance, security, reliability, and quality of the service.
The Data Management and Enterprise Analytics Director is a member of the Information Technology Services Senior Management Team and will work alongside others reporting to Chief Information Officer in fostering the department’s culture and defining an IT roadmap which includes enterprise data management.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- 5 + years of experience as a Business Intelligence Specialist, Architect, or Manager.
- 5 + years’ experience working with data migrations, analytics, or integration tools.
- Expertise in enterprise analytics and data warehousing best practices, concepts, and SDLC (Agile a plus).
- Experience with ensuring compliance with policies, contracts, and laws by formalizing data security procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of cloud solutions, data modeling, database concepts, data warehouse technology, and data management.
- Strong analytical and communication skills, including an ability to build consensus and discuss complex technical issues with both engineers and non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and verbally.
- Experience troubleshooting and finding multiple solutions to a complex problem.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Comfortable working in a highly diverse, mission-oriented community
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.