City Year is trying to transform how data is used to support students at risk of dropping out of school, and we need your help! Please read on to learn a little bit more about City Year and what we’re looking for. Learn more and apply at cityyear.org.
City Year is an education-focused, nonprofit organization that partners with public schools in 28 cities to help keep students in school and on track to graduate. Our mission is fueled by a culture of idealism. At City Year, we define “idealism” as the belief that you have the passion, skills, and courage to change the world. Everything we do is grounded in this concept and the unshakeable belief that we can all help make the world a better place. Optimism and idealism aren’t just encouraged, they’re both necessary to help advance our mission of keeping students in school and on track to graduation. We believe these traits are contagious, and that’s why we strive to share them with our communities and the world around us.
City Year’s Data Management & Enterprise Analytics (DMEA) team is primarily responsible for building and maintaining integrations between City Year systems, both internal and external, and designing, developing, and supporting City Year’s business intelligence environment to best fulfill City Year’s mission. The cross-functional team splits time between tier 2 production support, product enhancements, and larger project work. City Year is focused on embracing a cloud-first data environment and leverages Microsoft’s Azure cloud platform, including Azure Data Factory, Azure SQL Database, and Azure Analysis Services, for data flow and analytics capabilities. DMEA also creates and maintains large-audience, high-impact reporting on Microsoft’s Power BI platform and is leading the organization’s transition to reliable, user-focused self-service business intelligence (BI).
As a Data QA Analyst, you’ll work with the DMEA team to build and support high-quality business intelligence and systems integration capabilities. You’ll collaborate closely with engineers, project managers, and internal customers to design and lead execution of test cases for existing and new functionality that optimizes service delivery in City Year supported schools. You’ll explore the data that the DMEA team manages to identify and help resolve issues. You’ll also lead the development of QA testing best practices by helping others, both inside and outside the DMEA team, build their testing skills. Finally, you’ll help provide excellent support to our organization by helping troubleshoot and determine root causes of issues that arise.
- Design test cases and data sets mapped to requirements and technical specifications
- Review user stories, requirements, and technical specifications
- Gather and analyze data to support test case development
- Develop scripts for verification of data in SQL and other scripting languages
- Develop and maintain test data sets to support ongoing development efforts
- Develop and promote best practice for testing strategy
- Lead test case execution
- Identify and drive resolution of data discrepancies
- Document and track defects
- Perform functional, exploratory, and regression tests
- Identify and prioritize opportunities for test case development for new and existing systems
- Contribute to tool selection and testing framework development
- 2+ years’ experience doing relevant QA work, including writing test cases, performing testing, and documenting results
- Experience writing SQL queries to generate test data sets, perform tests, analyze results, and determine root causes
- Strong knowledge of testing process and tools; ability to apply software testing methods in a BI environment
- Experience testing dashboards/reports in Power BI, Tableau, etc.
- Experience with Salesforce-based applications is preferred
- Experience with k-12 education data is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of data warehousing and ETL/integration tools and techniques is preferred
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.