City Year is trying to transform how data is used to support students at risk of dropping out of school, and we need your help! Please read on to learn a little bit more about City Year and what we’re looking for. Learn more and apply at cityyear.org.
City Year is looking for an experienced and well-organized Student Data Systems Support Manager to assist in the implementation and on-going user support of our student data and reporting environment. The Student Data and Reporting team is responsible for gathering student level data, managing the processes for transforming and storing those data, and developing actionable reports for our front-line staff in schools with the goal of significantly improving outcomes for students. In order for that to happen, the team is responsible for loading and managing data from external sources, such as partner school districts, staging data in our data warehouse for analytics use, and developing and administering enterprise reports. The Student Data Systems Support Manager is responsible for promoting the smooth operation of City Year’s student data management environment to meet the needs of our end users who are serving at City Year locations and in our partner schools. The Student Data Systems Support Manager will help our team ensure top quality support and service to both internal and external customers.
Student Data Systems Support Manager will partner with local City Year data experts and school district IT professionals to enable automated student data transfers and will support data verification, user acceptance testing, and loading of the student data into City Year systems. The Student Data Systems Support Manager will coordinate the on-going automated data transfer efforts and support any issues through resolution. The Student Data Systems Support Manager will also seek and implement process improvements. Our ideal candidate is excited about promoting the effective use of timely and accurate k-12 education data and empowering front-line practitioners with the information needed to have greater impact on the students we serve.
Data Management & Analysis
- Communicate with school district partner clients about data specifications and support them at each step in the data integration process
- Manage data import process, validation and testing of a school district’s data into City Year’s platform
- Understand complex data and translate issues into non-technical terms
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand how data are used to inform decisions about how to work with students
- Maintain schedules for recurring operational tasks, track key client and project metadata, and assist in evaluating task priorities
- Build/document/improve internal processes and workflows
Customer Service, Support & Communication
- Proactively monitor products and services that student data & reporting team delivers to identify potential issues and provide user support for issues
- Create and maintain communication tools that allow stakeholders to easily see the current status of overall project progress and operational standings
- Facilitate and optimize communication and collaboration between customers and stakeholders, both internal and external, and the Student Data and Reporting team
- Work with the Program Manager for Student Data & Reporting team to coordinate automated data transfer initiative and work streams
- Comply with and help enforce standard policies and student data security procedures
- 3+ years experience working with many heterogeneous datasets and formats from a variety of vendors, providers and platforms and experience in a role at a school district, CMO or Ed-tech company with an emphasis on supporting end-user data needs
- Experience as a data leader in k-12 education environment and demonstrated ability to successfully integrate and manage data across disparate information systems
- Experience working with database and data warehouse/business intelligence environments
- Demonstrated ability to quickly and accurately analyze datasets involving student data to answer user questions about those data
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to express complex technical information in understandable and rigorously accurate terms as well as to express technical items in a manner that non-technical users can understand
- Attention to detail while working on multiple projects at once
- Customer service orientation starting with an empathetic service mindset continually seeking a clear understanding of the customer’s needs and meeting those needs with high quality solutions that engender strong customer satisfaction; Experience providing excellent service to internal and/or external customers preferred
- Demonstrated success and effectiveness working in and promoting a rapidly changing, collaborative, and time-critical work environment
- Commitment to continuous improvement and the mission; desire to focus talents on helping improve outcomes for others, experience with Agile a plus
- Technical background with a functional understanding of systems architecture, APIs, and integration best-practices a plus
- Are collaborative; enjoys solving complex problems with a small team
- A Lifelong Learner: You love learning new things. You’re curious and ask good questions. You solicit feedback from others, accept it with grace, and act on it.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Excel, Project
- Familiarity with SQL and RDBMS concepts (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Familiarity with BI applications such as PowerBI (or similar) a plus
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.